Chloroquine phosphate tablets
Chlorquine phosphate 500mg
25 tablets/ box
INDICATIONS AND USAGE
Chloroquine phosphate tablets are indicated for the:
- Treatment of uncomplicated malaria due to susceptible strains of P. falciparum, P.malariae, P. ovale, and P.vivax.
- Prophylaxis of malaria in geographic areas where resistance to chloroquine is not present.
- Treatment of extraintestinal amebiasis.
Chloroquine phosphate tablets do not prevent relapses in patients with vivax or ovale malaria because it is not effective against exoerythrocytic forms of the parasites.
Limitations of Use in Malaria:
- Do not use chloroquine phosphate tablets for the treatment of complicated malaria (high-grade parasitemia and/or complications e.g., cerebral malaria or acute renal failure).
- Do not use chloroquine phosphate tablets for malaria prophylaxis in areas where chloroquine resistance occurs, Resistance to chloroquine phosphate tablets are widespread in P. falciparum, and is reported in P.vivax
- Concomitant therapy with an 8-aminoquinoline drug is necessary for treatment of the hypnozoite liver stage forms of P.vivax and P.ovale
Use of chloroquine phosphate tablets for indications other than acute malaria is contraindicated in the presence of retinal or visual field changes of any etiology.
Use of chloroquine phosphate tablets are contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to 4-aminoquinoline compounds.